Leigh Academies Trust is a leading multi-academy trust based in Strood, Medway. Formed in 2008, the Trust now supports 11,000 students between the ages of 2 and 19 across sixteen primary, secondary and special academies.
The Trust was formed to support schools in building upon their existing strengths and to help them achieve rapid educational transformation. Leigh Academy itself incorporates cutting edge low carbon design and the Trust are keen to minimise their impact on the environment through the adoption of best practice and innovative energy efficiency ideas.
Energy Procurement and Added Value Support
In 2016 Leigh Academies Trust appointed Energy & Environmental Consultants Briar to manage the procurement of their new energy contracts. The aim was to deliver cost savings whilst also rationalising the multiple site contracts into a single contract, including a fully managed bureau service. In addition, unlike their incumbent purchasing consortium, Briar were also able to offer a range of added value services, including detailed energy audits, annual Display Energy Certificates and low carbon M&E design expertise to support Salix funding bids.
To date, the procurement programme is set to deliver:
- An estimated £75,000/year saving on energy costs across the Trust (£225,000 expected over the 3 year contract).
- An estimated £35,000/year saving on VAT payments.
- Ongoing negotiations for an estimated £60,000 rebate for incorrect historical payments.
- Online access to energy and water consumption/cost data, plus management reporting for all (50+) meter points.
- Energy audits across the portfolio that have identified over 2,000,000 kWh in energy savings, worth £160,000/year.
- The production of annual Display Energy Certificates across the Trust’s 16 schools.
The success of the procurement programme and subsequent energy audits has prompted a number of sites to appoint Briar to provide further support, including undertaking out of hours surveys to investigate high night-time consumption. This has identified a broad range of additional opportunities that will enable the Trust to reduce energy consumption further. Briar have therefore assisted each academy in identifying areas of waste, thus supporting the Trust’s vision of supporting students through a modern, low carbon learning environment.
“Briar have helped the Trust rationalise our energy procurement which should deliver considerable financial savings. In addition, the energy audit programme has helped us identify energy waste and has been useful in enabling our Business Managers to identify and target effective energy, carbon and cost reduction opportunities across our building portfolio.”
Jack Taylor – Business Controller