We found all of the water audits to be comprehensive and to the point in the recommendations made. These have helped our facility managers to direct resources to achieve financial savings and reductions in water consumption.
McArthurGlen Group is Europe’s leading developer, owner and manager of designer outlet villages. It accommodates more than 2,000 stores in 20 outlet villages across Europe that are visited by nearly 75 million shoppers each year. The Group are committed to reducing their environmental impact and after a range of successful energy programmes engaged Briar to focus on water management.
The objective of the programme was to identify cost-effective water efficiency opportunities. Initially, water audits were undertaken at the UK outlets, but the delivery of savings soon led to a full water audit programme across the European Designer Outlets.
The water audits were comprehensive and included the following:
- Current and historical water consumption analysis
- Tariff assessment—water, sewerage & surface water
- Survey of water consumption metering, pipework distribution and utilisation
- Audit of water & identification of anomalies
- Water monitoring using non-intrusive doppler meters
Recommendations were reported as; No cost, tariff and operational improvements; Low cost, fast track, water saving (paybacks less than 2 years) and Longer term capital investment measures (paybacks greater than 2 years).
Water Savings & Benefits
Water savings of over £260,000 were identified with a payback period of less than 1 year
- McArthurGlen now have an improved understanding of the costs associated with water and how water is consumed across their outlets
- A range of no cost operational measures were identified including pipework and system leakage that delivered significant immediate savings
- On site borehole and water abstraction is also being further investigated as an opportunity